Scripture - We believe that the Bible, composed of sixty-six books, is God’s infallible Word to mankind, which has been written by godly men divinely appointed and inspired by God. We believe it is the supreme authority and is our foundation in all matters of faith, life, judgment, conduct, and eternal hope. (2 Peter 1:20-21; 2 Timothy 3:16, 17; John 17:17)
God - We believe that there is One, and only One, living and true God of the universe, eternally existing in and revealed as three Persons in one Godhead - Father, Son, and Holy Spirit - equal in every divine perfection, and executing distinct, yet harmonious offices in the supreme work of creation and redemption. (Isaiah 43:10-13; Matthew 28:19; John 1:1-18; Acts 5:3-4; Romans 3:23-25; John 15:26)
- Father - We believe in God the Father, in whom all things have their source, support, and end. He is perfect in holiness, infinite in wisdom, measureless in power, everywhere present, never-changing, and ever-loving. He hears and answers prayer, and accepts those who come to Him through Jesus Christ. (Revelation 4:11; John 4:24; Psalm 99:9; Psalm 147:5; Isaiah 44:24; Psalm 139:7-12; Malachi 3:6; 1 John 4:8; Matthew 7:7-8; John 14:6)
- Son - We believe in God the Son who was incarnated in Jesus as the Christ, begotten by the Holy Spirit, born of the virgin Mary, true God and true man in one Person, absolutely sinless, who came down to earth to pay the penalty for the sins of mankind by death, resurrection, and ascension into heaven, and who intercedes for all believers at the right hand of the Father and is the only Mediator between God and mankind. (John 1:14; Matthew 1:18; Luke 1:27; Hebrews 4:14-15; John 19:30; Acts 1:3; Acts 1:11; 1 Timothy 2:5)
- Holy Spirit We believe in God the Holy Spirit, who was sent to convict the world of sin, of righteousness, and of judgment; to regenerate, teach, sanctify, indwell, empower, comfort and seal the believers in Christ. (John 14:15-26; John 3:5; Ephesians 4:30; Acts 5:1-4, 2 Corinthians 1:22 ;5:5)
Creation - We believe the Biblical account of the creation of the physical universe, angels, and humanity; that this account is neither allegory nor myth, but a literal, historical account of the direct, immediate creative acts of God without any evolutionary process; that Adam and Eve were created by a direct work of God and not from previously existing forms of life; and that all people are descended from the historical Adam and Eve, first parents of the entire human race. (Genesis 1: 2; Colossians 1:16, 17; John 1:3)
Mankind - We believe that God created mankind in His own image, sinless and pure, and that Adam voluntarily sinned through Satan’s temptation; that in consequence to this fall, sin is part of our world and the propensity to sin is part of us by nature and by choice. Therefore, all are under Judgement without excuse. (Genesis 1:26-27; Genesis 3:1-19; Romans 1:18,32; Romans 3:10-19,23; Romans 5:12,19; Romans 6:23; Hebrews 2:2-3)
Christian Marriage - We believe that Christian marriage is a sacred institution ordained of God for the benefit of mankind and the propagation of the race. It is the spiritual and physical union of one biological man and one biological woman; this is the only legitimate sexual relationship and, according to the scriptural ideal, is to be broken only by death. Accordingly, this Church, its Pastors, staff and members, will not recognize any other union as a legitimate marriage; our Church and staff shall not perform or participate in any same sex marriage ceremony pertaining to this issue, of any kind; and Church facilities and property shall not be used for such purposes. (Genesis 1:26-27; Genesis 2:18-25; 1 Corinthians 6:18; 7:2-5; Hebrews 13:4)
Sanctity of Human Life - We believe that all human life is sacred and created by God in His image. Human life is of inestimable worth in all its dimensions, including pre-born babies, the aged, the physically or mentally challenged, and every other stage or condition from conception through natural death. We are therefore called to defend, protect, and value all human life. (Ps 139)
Salvation - We believe that salvation of sinful people is wholly by God’s grace and not by our works; that Jesus Christ came into the world to make full atonement for sinners by His shed blood, vicarious death on the cross, bodily resurrection from the grave, and ascension into heaven again to intercede for believers; that each person must repent of sins and accept Jesus Christ as Savior and Lord to receive eternal life and power over sin. We believe that those who repent and turn from their sins and trust in Jesus Christ as their Savior are brought from death unto life, becoming a new creation, transformed by the Holy Spirit. We believe that faith and faith alone in Jesus Christ, is the only condition for salvation and is a free gift from God. (Ephesians 2:8-9; John 3:1-21; Hebrews 9:11-24; Acts 3:19; John 1:12,13; Romans 6:1-23; Hebrews 10:10; John 10:28-29; Acts 4:12; Titus 3:5)
- Invisible: We believe that the true church is the invisible, living, spiritual body of which Christ is the Head and all regenerated believers around the world are members. (Ephesians 5:21-33; 1 Corinthians 12:4-31)
- Visible: We believe in a visible local church, consisting of a company of believers in Jesus Christ, baptized on a credible profession of faith, organized for the purpose of proclaiming the gospel of Christ to a lost world, and associated for worship and fellowship. (Acts 4:32-37; 1 Timothy 3; Matthew 8:17)
Baptism - We believe that baptism is the immersion of a believer into water in the name of the triune God (Father, Son, Holy Spirit); that it is in obedience to Christ following conversion; that it is symbolic of the death, burial, and resurrection of the Savior, and likewise of believers in their regeneration experience as passing from death into life. (Romans 6:1-10; Matthew 3:13-17; Acts 8:36-38; Acts 2:41; Titus 3:5-7; 1 Peter 3:21)
Communion - We believe that communion is an observance commemorating the death of our Lord on the cross; that the provision of bread and fruit of the vine are symbols of Christ’s broken body and shed blood for the remission of sins; that the partaking benefits regenerated believers only; and that faithful self-examination should precede its observance. (Matthew 26:21-30; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34)
Sanctification - We believe that followers of Christ should live for the glory of God and the well-being of their fellow men; that they should seek to live lives separated from sin before God and the world; and that they should seek to realize for themselves and others the full stature of maturity in Christ. (1 Corinthians 10:31; Colossians 3:17; 2 Corinthians 6:14-16; James 2:1-26; 2 Peter 3:18; 1 John 3:1-10; Romans 8:1-2)
We believe that absolute separation from sin takes place only when believers are taken to be with the Lord. We believe that sinless perfection for the believers on earth is apart from the teaching of God. (1 John 1:8-10)
Satan - We believe in the existence of Satan, also called the Devil, who is the author of sin and wickedness; who is the accuser of saints and tempter of all men; and who shall be cast into the Lake of Fire with his followers at the end of time. (Matthew 4:1-11; 1 Peter 5:8; Revelation 12:10; Revelation 20:10-15)
The End Times - We believe in the rapture of the church when the dead in Christ shall rise and those who are yet alive shall be caught up to meet Christ in the air. We believe in the personal and visible return of the Lord Jesus Christ to earth and the establishment of His kingdom. We believe in the resurrection of the body, the final judgment, the eternal joy of the righteous, and the endless suffering of the wicked. (1 Thessalonians 4:13–18, Matthew 25:31-46; John 5:18, 29; II Corinthians 5:10; Revelation 20:1-15)
- Heaven: We believe that any person, regenerated through Jesus Christ, has the blessed hope and joy of eternal life with God in heaven and in the new heaven and earth to be established at the end of time. (John 3:16; 1 Peter 1:3-4; Revelation 21:1-12)
- Hell: We believe any person rejecting Christ as Savior has chosen to spend eternity without God in Hell, and ultimately in the great Lake of Fire at the end of time. (Hebrews 9:27; Luke 16:19-31; Revelation 20:10-15)
Religious Liberty - We believe that every human being has direct relations with God and is responsible to God in all matters of faith. Each church is independent and must be free from interference by an ecclesiastical or political authority.
Church Cooperation - We believe that doctrinally sound local churches can best promote the cause of Jesus Christ by cooperating with one another in a denominational organization. Such an organization, whether a regional or district conference, exists and functions by the will of the churches. Cooperation in a conference is voluntary and may be terminated at any time. Churches may, likewise, cooperate with inter-denominational fellowships on a voluntary independent basis.
Recognition of Doctrinal Tensions - Although we hold firmly to these Articles of Faith, we acknowledge that we may see some doctrinal tensions in Scripture which we may not resolve to our own or others satisfaction and on which mature believers of good will may differ in their understanding. These should be acknowledged, and liberty extended to one another in these areas.
Final Authority for Matters of Belief and Conduct - The statement of faith does not exhaust the extent of our beliefs. The Bible itself, as the inspired and infallible Word of God that speaks with final authority concerning truth, morality, and the proper conduct of mankind, is the sole and final source of all that we believe. For purposes of High Point Church’s faith, doctrine, practice, policy, and discipline, our Elder Board is High Point Church’s final interpretive authority on the Bible’s meaning and application.